This afternoon, I gave the boys their haircuts. Not an easy thing to do, by the way. Josh HATES getting hair on his skin and Bronson's hair is so fine and multi-directional that it takes a million passes with the clippers and I still miss major spots. Anyway, while I cut I was musing over the fact that I've cut everyone in the house's hair except my own. Suddenly I was taken by an uncontrollable urge to cut my own hair. (I know, Katie. You can stop reading now if you need to.)
In my defense, I don't get stressed out about hair. Never really have. My best friend in high school went to beauty college so I let her do just about anything she wanted to my hair. Over the years, I've had long hair, short hair, straight hair, curly hair, blond hair, red hair and everything in between. I get excited about hair changes and even if it turns out bad, I figure it'll grow back. I also knew that my good friend and hair dresser (when I actually get haircuts about twice per year) would either laugh or cry with me then save me if my attempt went terribly wrong.
So, I walked into my bathroom, flipped my hair upside down and cut my hair straight across. When I flipped my hair back up, it was layered. Tricky, huh? I took off a little length and played with it a bit more until I decided it was finished. Ta da! It really wasn't hard to do. I've watched my hair get cut many many times and I know what works for it. I'm not saying that I want to do it again...ever...but I've certainly had worse haircuts.
| Nice to have the old, split ends removed. |
| Self portrait. |
| That's a lot of hair. Not just a little trim! |

Imagine this, only blond and slightly uglier and on my face.
Awwww, and today at church you wore your hair back, so I didn't even get to see!!! Looks great in the pictures though. I'll come to your house the next time I want layers!!! Sarah Riley
ReplyDeleteOkay, it's not the fact that you cut your own hair that scares me, it's the method you used! Seriously, flipping your hair upside down and cutting across? I can't believed it worked. What even made you think it might work? You are one daring girl!
ReplyDeleteI think I may vomit...
ReplyDeleteKelley, seriously, you're awesome. I could NEVER do that to my own hair and make it look cute. You look CUTE! How the heck did that work out, head upside-down and all? I would totally butch myself. This is just another thing to add to my list of Why-Kelley-is-super-amazing! You go, Girl!
ReplyDeleteJen - I didn't come up with it on my own. A woman in YW with me in my last ward (so about 8 years ago) told me that's how she did her hair. Ever since then I've been dying to try it.
ReplyDelete