Monday, January 2, 2012

Family Christmas Parties

Sorry about not having any pictures of the Smith family party, but both boys were screaming and I just plain forgot!  Shame on me!  Maybe my dad took some pictures that I can steal and put on here later...
Who doesn't love a good family Christmas Party?  We sure have some fun ones in our family.  The Christmas parties on both sides of our family are very similar in a lot of ways.

First of all, they are both relatively new traditions.  They both began on the same year, I think five years ago.  They feel like new traditions to David and I, but the kids don't remember a time when we didn't have them.

Secondly, both family parties feature amazing food!  I am related to some of the best cooks and foodies in the world and it really shows at Christmas time!  Some years (like this one on the Gee's side) we have finger food pot lucks.  Other times, we have soups or Chick-Fil-A nugget trays.  Yum!  I just love all the dips, salads, treats, fancy drinks (you should have tried the berry slush Aunt Sue brought to the Smith's party this year!) candy and entrees that fill entire counters and never run low!
Shawn and Amy hosted the Gee Family party again this year. 

 Thirdly, both family parties involve a fun gift exchange. The Smith party hosts a huge Bingo game every year. Each family brings lots of small (and some not-so-small) wrapped gifts, labeled for either kids or adults and we play until everyone has a huge pile of loot to go home with. At the Gee party, we played the "Right-and-Left" game this year where we passed our gifts to the right or left as we heard the words in a story being read by Shawn. The kids thought it was great, but not as great as Grandpa wearing the Green wig that was his present. We all try to think of silly, useless gifts for this party and I must say, we've had a few doozys in the past.
Checking out each other's presents and trading back-and-forth.
Ooh-la-la!  No trading here!
 Lastly, both family parties are WILD!!!!  Take a large number of small children bubbling over with Christmas excitement, hopped up on holiday goodies and add the thrill of a gift exchange and you will find that there is no room large enough to contain the joy.  They are BOTH loud, raucous parties.  The Gee family party never ends until at least one kid is in tears over something.  Thanks to Josh, we kept that tradition alive, but in his defense, he was just five days out from his surgery.  The Smith family party never ends until at least one kid has thrown up (not kidding).  Adam took care of that tradition for us this year.  I tell you, we really know how to live it up!

A few days before Christmas, the girls and I were talking about traditions.  Alison asked me which family party I liked best.  I told her that I couldn't choose.  Christmas just wouldn't be the same without either of them.  I meant it too!  They are pretty chaotic and rowdy, but they are so much fun.  I know my kids are building memories that will last forever and I leave each party with a deep love and gratitude for my amazing families.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Bingo party too, but I didn't exactly leave with warm feelings of gratitude. I'd say my feelings were more in the "give me some anti-anxiety drugs NOW!" category. And by the way, Adam says "You're welcome" for keeping the throw up tradition alive this year. I just thought it was funny that with ALL of the sick people in that house, Adam (who was probably the healthiest kid there) was the one who puked. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelley, you have such a good and grateful attitude to recognize the blessing of being able to spend the holidays with family even if it does get a little "crazy." What great memories for you and your children and what good sports you've been considering all the health challenges your family faced-all at once.

    ReplyDelete