Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve wasn't one of my finer days.  I was very tired - hadn't slept a full night since Nicole's arm broke on December 7th.  We were coming home from a down-and-back visit to Utah which was crazy fun and super fast-paced.  The work, stress, and energy level required to take that trip were totally worth it because my kids were literally in heaven, but I was exhausted.  Plus, there was also the anticipation of all that needed to get done before I went to bed that night.  I just couldn't take it.  I wept off-and-on for most of the car ride home.  Luckily for me, the kids were too excited and busy with their prizes from the bingo game to notice anything was wrong, so I didn't dampen their spirits at all.


One Christmas Eve tradition that originated back when David was a kid is going to get a burger for lunch.  We were driving home during lunch time, so we stopped at a Wendy's in Blackfoot for our traditional meal.  We spread out over two tables and ate.  The girls were thrilled to finally be allowed to order grown-up meals.  Josh and Bronson were having fun playing with their toys.  Everyone was chattering away quite loudly.  There were a couple of bathroom trips and a spill or two.  You know, typical stuff.  Suddenly, a teeny little woman in her 70's came over and said, "Excuse me.  I just wanted you to know what a darling family you have.  My husband and I have enjoyed watching your sweet little family."  Isn't that nice?  I had my back to her while she was watching us so it was probably a shock to see my red, swollen eyes, but she didn't say anything about it.  He he.  I thought about what she said and decided she's right.  We do have a lot of fun and happiness in our family.
 
We got home from our trip with enough time to unpack and take care of our animals and unwind a little.  Then, we bundled up and headed out for the Gee Family Caroling Party.  This is a very old and important tradition in Dave's family.  Each year, all of the Gee cousins and their families load up on a trailer stacked with hay bails and drive around the streets of Sugar City, sending runners out to knock on doors and singing Christmas carols to anyone who answers.  It's become a tradition in many local families as well - they wait for their song from the Gee's.  As you can imagine, with all of the cousins and their families, this is a large group!  It keeps getting larger each year, so this year we had three trailers full of people. I'm talking a HUGE gaggle of Gees!!!   David, who was still battling his pneumonia, took the boys with him and drove the second truck. I think that says a lot about how trustworthy and competent he is to be allowed to drive such precious cargo.  Grandpa Gee had a megaphone and a pitch pipe in the front of the first trailer and David's cousin, Dianna stood up and led us all drum-majorette-style, but I'm pretty sure that with so many people in so many places it was pretty much a Christmas medley most of the time.  I can't even explain how much our girls love caroling.  They sit with all their cousins and sing at the top of their lungs.  They long for they day when they'll be allowed to get off and ring doorbells.  It's adorable.  As usual, none of us could feel our toes by the time we were finished, but we all had a great time.
Abby, Isaac, Sue, Addie (I think, maybe Hannah - she's squished in there) Isabelle, Ellie down low, Ainsley, Grace, Dave's cousin Mark up high, Maddie, Ali, Me, and Nicki)

Trailers one and two.  Totally stole both pictures off family member's blogs.  Thanks, family for being on top of things.  I was in no mental state to be capturing photos. 
After caroling, the whole group descends on an aunt or uncle's home (usually Uncle Jerald's, but this year we moved it to Aunt Ann's).  There we have a meal and short program before heading home.  After the day I'd been having, I wasn't sure I was up for visiting.  I knew (from the few people I said hello to on the trailer) that I would probably burst into tears if anyone asked how I was doing.  Plus, David was still very sick and Josh was still recovering, so we didn't go the the after-party.  Instead, we picked up a take-n-bake pizza, went home and opened Grandma and Grandpa Gee's presents, which are always fun new pajamas to wear to bed, read Luke 2 and watched the Church's video of the nativity, ate our pizza and went to bed early.  We ALL needed it!  David helped me get ready for the next day and we were in bed by about 9:30 p.m.  It was miraculous!  Bronny woke up once and needed to be held for a while, but Josh slept through the night for the first time since his surgery.  We all got a lot of sleep and were able to enjoy a well-rested Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment