Saturday, July 2, 2016

Frightening Moment

On Monday, June 20th, I had just sat down for a lovely chat with my visiting teachers when we were interrupted by a blood curdling scream.  At first, I thought it was the napping baby, fallen out of his crib or with a leg stuck through the slats or something.  I dashed over to his room, but found him still asleep. By the time I came back into the front room, Josh was entering the house with his hand holding the back of his head, blood seeping through his fingers.  The next few moments were a bit chaotic, as I tried to assess the injury, get the story of what happened, and quiet everyone down.  Josh was screaming, my visiting teachers were offering help and advice, Nicki was trying to tell me the story, Quinton was screaming in his crib from being so rudely awakened, and my neighbor friend, hearing the commotion, burst into the house trying to help.  After I got it cleaned up, the wound itself didn't look very terrible. I held him on my lap with a cloth to his head (along with the crying baby, who wouldn't let anyone else near him) while my visiting teachers resumed their visit.

What happened was purely an accident.  He and his friends were playing on the side of our house when Josh took a step backwards and fell head-first-and-backwards into our window well.  Aside from the head injury, he bruised his leg right under his buttocks pretty badly and scraped up one knee.  That's it!  Miracles happen folks!   It could have been so much worse!  Like, SOOOO much worse!   I don't like to think about how much worse it could have been - or how it could have been a neighbor kid that fell, etc.  We need to get window well covers. ASAP.

A couple of hours later, Josh's head was still oozing blood.  Then, he said, "Mom. I feel like I might throw up."  Instantly, I suspected a concussion and all the cool-tempered, calm momma-ness went out the door.  I took him to the urgent care doc, were he received four stitches in the inner layers of his cut, four staples on the outer skin layers, and strict instructions to lay low for a couple of days and to quit horse play for a week (he didn't really follow that last part very well).
I am afraid this won't be the last time we see him with this look. He is a very active boy.


The next day was supposed to be tech-free Tuesday, but instead, it was "sit in front of the TV all day Tuesday."  We rented a couple of Redbox movies and kept him still as much as possible.  We were all very doting.  He wore his head bandage for two days.  I think he kind of liked the attention he got.  Not enough to fall down the window well again, but being hurt does have its perks.

No comments:

Post a Comment