Our family has a long standing tradition, dating back to when I was a child, that when a child turns eight years old, they go on a trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house all alone - with no parents or siblings. I still have so many fond memories of my own eight year old trip with Grandma and Grandpa Church when they lived in California. It's sort of a rite of passage for our family - a realization that you are growing up. And it's very special.
Joshua turned eight on October 23rd. He actually went on his trip a few days before his birthday because it coincided with school's UEA break. Lucky boy! Oh what fun he had! I charged my dad with taking tons of pictures so I could see all that they did. He did a fantastic job, so here's a little photo journal of their trip:
My parents picked Josh up from our house on Thursday evening. They headed straight for Baskin Robbins. After that, they watched a movie at Grandpa's house. Josh stayed up much later than he gets to at home. He slept in Grandpa's office, which is right next to Grandma and Grandpa's room.
 |
As you can see, he had no trouble sleeping.
The next morning, Grandma made him a huge breakfast (both of my parents were amazed at the amount of food Joshua eats). Then,she packed them up and sent the two boys on their own little adventure! They went on an overnight trip to Vernal to visit Dinosaur Land. Anyone who knows Josh knows that he is what you might call a "dinosaur enthusiast" so a one-on-one trip with Grandpa to Dinosaur National Monument was the most amazing thing that he could imagine! |
 |
| Off they go! It was Josh's first time sitting in the front seat (he just turned eight and we obey the law - even though he's the size of most twelve year old kids). Grandma gave him a pair of sunglasses. He thought that was pretty awesome. The day before, Grandpa went to the library and asked the librarian to help him pick out a good book on tape to listen to while they drove. They had a lot of fun listening to the story of a dog detective. |
 |
| I think that along the way, they stopped for a milkshake. Or maybe this was once they got there. Either way, ice cream was involved... |
 |
| It took about three hours to arrive. |
 |
| They spent some time at the quarry. |
 |
| This boy is in heaven. |
 |
| Looks like a fun interactive display. |
 |
| They stayed in a nice hotel in Vernal. Josh has NEVER been in a hotel room before. He's stayed in a condo with us, but never a hotel room. It was an adventure! |
 |
| Grandpa took him swimming TWICE! Once that first night, and again the next morning. |
 |
They ate at a Chinese restaurant. Josh ate more food than Grandpa! In fact, he ate himself sick. I think it was a long evening for Grandpa, but he acts like he totally enjoyed every minute of staying up with a nauseated eight year old. Josh's tummy settled down and they were able to go to sleep around 11:00.
The next morning, after breakfast in the hotel (where Josh ate tons of food again) and another dip in the pool, the two adventurers headed to the Dinosaur Museum. |
 |
| They had a great time there. |
 |
| The great thing about being the only child is that Josh could set the pace. He read the things he wanted to, but didn't have to wait for (or chase after) his siblings. I'm sure he mostly just bounced from exhibit to exhibit with Grandpa following patiently behind. |
 |
| Doesn't he look really old in this picture? |
 |
| Look out, Josh! He's going to eat you! |
 |
| Grandpa totally spoiled Josh! He got not one.... |
 |
but THREE stuffed animal dinosaurs! Talk about cool!
In the afternoon, the boys headed home. They arrived at Grandpa's house just in time for dinner. We met him there and had a hot dog roast while listening to stories of their adventure. As you can see, his siblings missed him a lot. So did I! I love this tradition! And I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the generosity, time, and effort that my parents put into these memory making, life-changing trips for my children when they turn eight, but I'm always so glad when they come home to me! You'd think that with four other kids around, I'd hardly notice his absence, but it makes such a huge difference in our home to have a single person missing! Oh how I love this family! |
No comments:
Post a Comment