Saturday, December 5, 2015

Jr. Jazz Basketball

Where do I begin?  How much do I tell?

Earlier in the fall, I told David that it was time to register for Jr. Jazz basketball.  I was thinking about enrolling Joshua, but David said he wanted both girls to play instead.  As far as Josh goes, his age group included kindergarten and first grade. He's already huge, and we didn't think the little kindergartner's parents' would be thrilled with him towering over everyone. We decided to wait a year for him.

David told the girls that he was signing them up for basketball.  They threw a fit the size of Texas.  LITERALLY - there was weeping and wailing.  Alison (completely seriously) told David that this was a form of child abuse!  To make someone they love do something they feel so strongly against is just plain evil in her opinion.  David stayed very calm and listened to the complaints.  He explained that he didn't expect them to become basketball stars. He only wanted them to try it once.  If they didn't like it, they would never have to play again.  In the mean time, they could learn a little bit about the sport, get some exercise, gain experiences that can only be taught through team sports, and maybe even learn something about themselves.  He was very determined.  Nicole ended up calming down, but Alison stayed upset throughout the night.  I felt terrible for her, but supported David's decision.

So as the first games approached, I got emails from both of the girls' coaches.  Neither team would be able to practice before their first game.  So I spent a bit of time over a week or two talking to the girls about the basics of the game.  I mean the BASICS:  This is the ball, this the the hoop.  When it goes in the hoop you get two points.  You have to dribble, etc.....  They knew nothing!  Then we went out to the neighborhood hoop with our new-from-the-D.I. basketballs and practiced a few things.

Needless to say, the first games were rough.  Nicki is in the fifth grade league.  Her team lost by quite a bit.  She didn't really know what she was doing - but then again, neither did most everyone on her team.  Alison's game was painful for me to watch.  Her age group is from seventh through ninth grade.  Some of the girls (both on her team and the other) had certainly played before.  She was the youngest girl out there and she didn't know what she was doing and she was terrified.  I watched her fight tears the whole time.  It was a major victory for her to even step onto the court.  Meanwhile, a couple of the parents in the stands (on our side, no less) were the yell-at-the-ref types.  Urgh!  I came home from that first game and told David, "I think we made a mistake.  I think we should let her quit."  He listened very sympathetically, but eventually convinced me that she could do it.

He was right.  Things have definitely gotten better.  Alison's coach is a very nice man who wants the girls to have fun, not go into the WNBA.  His practices are downright fun.  And Alison has made some friends on her team.  She likes practice.  She is still uncomfortable at games (she says she doesn't like playing against strangers).  But she goes out there and she tries.  I am so over-the-top proud of her for that!  I think Dave was right - she is learning some things about herself and what she can do through this experience.  Does she like basketball?  No.  She still tries to get out of going to her games, but she's not crazy about it.  Will she ever do it again?  No way!


Nicki started out luke-warm about the whole thing.  But as time has gone on, she has found that basketball is something that she LOVES.  Will she do it again?  Definitely!   She didn't score any points in her first three games.  In the fourth, she scored 2 points.  In the fifth, 14!  She blocks a million shots per game and is a really great hustler.  She still has a lot to improve on, but considering the fact that she hadn't TOUCHED a ball a month ago, she's made some MAJOR improvements.  She is out at the neighborhood hoop all the time playing with her friends.  Part of her success is because the is a foot taller than most of the other girls, but she's also naturally athletic.


It has been so much FUN for me to watch my girls play ball.  I never really knew how much I loved it when I was a kid until now.  It makes me so happy to watch both of these cute girls out there on the court, and to cheer them on! (I am a loud parent, but positive and supportive - of both teams.  I promise).  I love to practice with them in the front yard.  I am so glad that David forced them to play.I think I could totally be a basketball mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment