I am a contest enter-er. It's what I do. Sometimes, it actually pays off. Not often, but sometimes.
In November, I won a contest from Channel 2 News. The prize was 2 tickets to the U of U vs. UCLA football game. Cool, huh! The only problem was that I couldn't go. At least, I felt like it would be a bad idea for David and I to leave our kids for 6 or so hours in the middle of a Saturday. So, I sent Joshua in my place.
He was so excited! I got him all decked out in red, packed him up with gloves, hats, blankets, etc. and sent him off with Dad. They got there in plenty of time to take a picture, then go get a hot dog, hot chocolate, and cotton candy.
David called me at halftime. He wasn't sure if he could make it through the whole game. Not because Josh was cold (it was very, very cold) or bored, but because he was driving Dave crazy! I guess the cotton candy went straight to Josh's brain. He was bouncing up and down, throwing his blanket in the air, kicking the chair in front of him, etc. Crazy kid.
Somehow, David managed to make it through the whole game. Utah lost. Bummer. When they got home, Josh was happily chattering away about his special day with Dad. His favorite part was the wave going through the crowd, and the food, of course. He was totally oblivious to the fact that Dad was exhausted and stressed out. David said it was the equivalent of a six hour plane ride with a sugar crazed seven year old. I guess that's pretty much how life goes sometimes. As long as the kids have happy memories, they don't have to know how hard it was for their parents to make them, right? This experience has made me re-evaluate several of my favorite childhood memories. If I had just turned around would I have found my parents collapsed on the ground?

No comments:
Post a Comment