For as long as my dad's been with the Davis Chamber of Commerce, he has recruited his daughters to help him with his big fancy annual event - the Davis Chamber Gala. I've only been able to do it a couple of times, but I've LOVED it each time. As a busy mom, I only get gussied up like that and eat super fancy meals...um...never. So it's truly a delight for me.
Now that Dad's out of the chamber, I won't be needed anymore. Bummer! In fact, this year, he didn't have to be involved. But he was being honored by the chamber, so he invited Katie and me as guests (Kristin had to work). I was so happy to be there one last time!
Dad and Mom were invited to sit with some other business associates in the very front, so Katie and I took their seats at the Commissioner's table. Basically, we hung out with the other commissioners and their wives. I felt a little out of place, but they were all so nice to us. They said, "You're part of the family now." We had a great time visiting with them. Katie is the fun, witty, sassy daughter who is always cracking jokes. I'm the sweet, appropriate, slightly reserved one. Together we're a good pair. She livens things up, I smooth them out when she goes to far! Hee Hee. Just teasing you, Katie.
Dad was honored with an award. Everyone loves him. Seriously. Every. One. He had to give a little acceptance speech, which I thought was very classy and very sweet. Then, it seemed to me that nearly everyone else who got up to the mic that night commented on how much Dad had taught them and mentored them or how glad they were to be able to rub shoulders with him. It was touching.
So my days as a thirty-something-dressing-up-like-she's-going-to-prom are behind me now. Maybe not. Maybe I'll get gussied up to go to the grocery store someday.
No comments:
Post a Comment