Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Joshua's Birthday

After many days of waiting and watching other people have birthdays, Joshua finally got his turn on October 23rd.  He turned 5 years old!  What an exciting day for him!  It actually started a day early because my parents had to drop off their present the night before.  Josh was thrilled!


We started out Josh's big day in typical birthday fashion, with presents and sugary cereal.  He got his very own light saber, so he and Bronson can now have epic battles.  Yikes.  He also got his own pet - a red Beta fish, which he named Marlin!  (I'm writing this entry exactly two weeks after Josh's birthday, and the fish is still alive.  Amazing!)  He got a few other gifts, all of which he loved!  Then, we got him ready for Preschool.


He had a great day a preschool!  His class sang him a song, we wore a crown, and he passed out huge licorice ropes for his birthday treat.  He was feeling pretty special, with a pleased little grin on his face when I picked him up.  Then, we went to lunch at the Chinese restaurant, and shopping for his birthday cake.  Smith's was having some sort of regional or state-wide manager training, so everything was decked out for Christmas!  Even the cakes at the bakery were all Santa and snowflake-themed.   There were samples and handouts everywhere.  I think Josh felt like it was especially for him.  Every time we passed someone, he would say, "It's my birthday." Many people wished him a happy day and gave him treats, balloons, etc.    The lady at the bakery remembered Josh from Bronson's birthday.  She made him a special Batman cake.  It was fun.

In the afternoon, Josh played with his friends in the neighborhood while Bronson took a nap ad I cooked.  When Bronny woke up, we picked up the girls from school and went to Hill Air Force Base to visit the museum.  We got there at 3:30, and the museum closes at 4:00, so we literally ran from jet to jet without pausing, but that's about how fast the boys go through anyway...
I have to put his picture in even though its blurry because it makes me laugh.  We were hurrying so fast, that I was like, "Quick!  Stand by that jet!  Quickly!!!  Okay, say cheese..okay, go!go!go!"  I don't think I even stopped walking while I took it.  

They're sitting under the tail of a huge WWII plane that goes right over the sidewalk.  You should have seen me shimmy under that thing!  It wasn't pretty.
For dinner, Josh requested spaghetti  and meatballs, bread sticks, and a green salad.  Hooray!  It was delicious and nutritious.  I don't know if you know this, but David HATES spaghetti.  Hates.  I hope you can still respect him after hearing such a shocking and ridiculous character flaw, but alas, it's true.  I never get to make spaghetti, so I was thrilled that Josh requested it.  It was DELICIOUS!

The only family members who could come over that evening were my brother Scott and his wife Katie.  They probably felt a little overwhelmed by the chaos of our brood, but we were sure glad they came.  They are a lot of fun to be around.  They sure had us all laughing.  Scott told us about a fridge thief at his work, who repeatedly and blatantly steals other people's food out of the company fridge.  Alison spent the rest of the evening devising ways to lure and trap the thief.  Perhaps Scott will employ some of her tactics to bring the criminal to justice.
Gotta love this picture.  Don't we all look happy?  I think we were...I mean. Bronson was obviously ticked off at something...but the rest of us were happy.

After cake and chocolate or mud pie ice cream, it was time to usher the little birthday boy to bed.  I think he had a fun day.  We sure are glad to have busy, crazy, smart little Joshua in our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment