I heard about the event from a deal-catching blogger that I get updates from occasionally (coupons4utah). I thought it sounded like fun, but I didn't see myself going. But, when I mentioned it to Kristin, she was totally interested. In fact, she was pumped! I called my other siblings, and bought tickets for the ones who could attend.
The drive down to South Salt Lake was very entertaining. Of course, we talked about super heroes and movies most of the way. I'm not even sure how two grown adults like Kristin and Scott can possibly know so much information about super heroes. It's amazing! They spent most of the time talking about the TV series that Joshua loves, so I was able to put my two cents in.
We arrived at the theater and had plenty of time to find a bite to eat. I've never been to Jordan Commons before, but it's HUGE! They have many restaurants with a variety of food types - along with traditional movie fare - that you can bring into the theater with you. Scott and Katie ate at Pizza Hut, and Kris and I shared an order of sweet potato fries in the food court. Then, we went on the hunt for theater #16. (It's a big place!)
When we found our theater, we were given our assigned tickets, along with swag bags with coupons, gift certificates, samples, and raffle tickets. LOVE!!! I'm a HUGE sucker for "free" things. One of the reasons I love to run in races is for the "free" T-shirt. Hee hee. Kristin was the only one in our group who won anything in the raffle - she got a $15 gift card to Cafe Zupas and a cookbook. Way to go Kris!
The movie stared right after the raffle. They didn't show previews or anything. Let me tell you a couple of things about the movie. First of all. It was great! I haven't read the book in a very long time. I had forgotten a lot of stuff, but Kristin has an incredible memory for things she reads so she knew when we should get ready to jump or when something big was about to happen. I had to keep asking her, "Was that in the book?" and she'd be like, "Yes!" According to Kris, the movie stayed VERY close to the book.
| Kristin, Katie, and a blurry sliver of Scott's head. I should have taken a better picture, but they were just saying, "No cameras or cell phones in the theater." |
Secondly, we were sitting pretty close (13th row) and the movie is very action-y. I actually got motion sick. I had to look down quite a bit to keep my sweet potato fries in my stomach. There was a time or two when I prepared to bolt for the bathroom, and I had to borrow Kristin's empty Icee cup just in case I didn't make it. I don't think anyone else had a problem. I'm incredibly wimpy about the way things are filmed. I have always had a hard time watching home videos, etc. In my defense, I am pregnant and it was REALLY hot in that theater! I took my little sweater off and rolled my pant legs up. I even considered taking off my socks and shoes, but I didn't.
After the show, we headed home. We hadn't gotten very far when suddenly, there was a loud thump-thump-thump and something flew over the windshield. I asked what it was, and Scott said, "My windshield wiper just fell off!" WHAT?!?! Does that even happen? I guess so because it did. Anyway, we probably should have pulled over and gone back for it, but we didn't. It was raining at the time, so we had no choice but to try to find a store that was open at 11:45 on a Wednesday night. We finally found a Walgreen's. They didn't have any wiper blades, but a nice man there gave me directions to the nearest Wal Mart. As we started driving towards the store, we realized that it was SEVERAL city blocks in exactly the opposite direction from home. Kristin suggested that we try moving the blade on the passenger side over to the drivers side. So we pulled over into an empty parking lot to give it a try. Kristin and Katie stayed in the car while Scott and I tried to figure out how to remove the blade by the light of a green H&R Block sign. Scott figured it out. Then, we tried to get it back on the other side, except it broke into a couple of pieces. urgh. It took a while, and all four of us were out of the car by the end, but we finally got it figured out. The rest of the drive home was smooth and I actually loved our little adventure. The cool air and sprinkling rain helped me feel a LOT better.
I'd say that I was home and in bed before 1:00 in the morning. Pretty good! What a fun, adventurous night!

Oh my, love this story. You know Dave and I would have been there for sure! What a fun group and the wiper blade thing, too funny, I have a feeling this will become a hilarious family story.
ReplyDelete