Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Grandpa's Funeral

Grandpa Church's funeral was held on Monday, January 21st.  It was a beautiful service.  All three of his children spoke.  Katie read the tribute, and Kristin played "Claire de Lune" (Grandpa's favorite song because it reminded him of the movie "Frenchman's Creek" which he watched dozens of times as he rode a boat home from Japan).  What a bitter-sweet, emotional day. It was wonderful to see so many distant relatives that I haven't seen in years. 
Grandpa's ward put up flags in front of the church in honor of him.
 
It was a beautiful sight.  Brought tears to my eyes.
Mom is visiting with uncle Chuck.  His wife, Aunt "Boo," is in the background with the Kleenex.  Boo is Grandma Church's sister.  Oh, and the darling little boy is Adam.
Both of my boys think Uncle Dave is a super hero!  I almost felt bad about how much they bombarded him.  Especially Josh.  But I think Dave really likes kids, so he wasn't too bugged by his fan club.
Aunt Jody and cousin Jeffrey from the Smith side of the family came to the funeral.  I thought that was very nice.

Adam enjoyed his own food at the luncheon (Cheerios).  He was so cute and happy!
After everything was done and cleaned up.  Time to go home...

A few of us went home with Grandma after the funeral and visited for about a half hour.  David took the kids home so I could go by myself.  It was a very nice visit and I'm glad I got to be there. 
The next day, Tuesday the 22nd, we went to Grandma and Grandpa's home town of Delta.  That's where he was buried.  I LOVE Delta!  I would live there in a heartbeat!  Alas, we never will, though.  It's surrounded by sage and juniper (the two things David is deathly allergic to).  Dave started sneezing as soon as we left Nephi and didn't stop again for a couple of days afterwards.

At the viewing, Josh got frightened by all the strangers and hid under a chair.  The only person who could get him to come out was Uncle Dave. 


The whole family together.  Scott, Kelley, Katie, Dad, Mom, Kristin, David.

I think that's the prettiest casket I have ever seen!  Grandpa Church picked it out himself a few years ago. 

The pallbearers holding a flag over the casket while "Taps" was being played. 

Words cannot express how cold it was.  We literally watched the flowers freeze right before our eyes.

Taps.  Very, very emotional for all of us.

Grandma Church being presented the flag. 
On our drive home, we saw a beautiful bald eagle right at the side of the road. Fitting end to a somber, patriotic day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment