We opened his presents in the morning. He got a lot of toy cars and a new train set, along with dinosaurs, clothes, candy, a movie, and some money. What a lucky kid!
He spent the rest of the morning playing. Josh is a very enthusiastic player. He can play with his toys for hours at a time. When he does, he's so intensely involved in his imagination, he doesn't even know whether or not I'm around. It's fun to watch. He has quite a colorful imagination!
The middle part of the day was pretty typical Sunday stuff. We did sing "Happy Happy Birthday" to him in nursery. After church, we went over to our friend's house to see their brand-new-born-that-day piglets. My goodness! They are adorable! How nice of them to be born on Josh's birthday. After the pig visit, we went home for a birthday dinner. Josh chose hot dogs, Cheetos, and dill pickles. Yummy. He ate five or six pickles all by himself, but didn't touch the hot dog. I didn't push him too much. You're only three once and I'm not sure of making him eat the hot dog would have been better or worse than letting him not eat it. Hmmm...one of life's mysteries.Anyway, we brought Josh's birthday cake over to Grandma and Grandpa Gee's house. It was quite the cake! Last year, I made him a train cake. When I did, I decided that it was a once-in-a-lifetime kind of affair. When it came time to decide what kind of cake to make this year, we looked at all kinds of stuff. I found a cute monster cake, or perhaps a farm, maybe a spider... NO NO NO!!! Josh acted like I was crazy. Isn't it obvious - birthday cakes only come in one shape...TRAINS!!! Oh well. He really does love trains and the girls promised to help. So... ta da! We made him a train. It was totally worth the effort. Not only did he go ga-ga over it, all the boy cousins were totally wide-eyed in awe when they saw it as well. I wish I had gotten a picture of Josh, Isaac, and Sam sitting on stools plotting which car they wanted to eat.
Josh had a great birthday. He's such a cute, happy boy. He brings lots of joy into my life. I love the way he talks. His new favorite phrase is , "Oh, yeah. Sure." "Josh, can Nicki sit by you?" "Oh, yeah. Sure." "Would you like to say the prayer?" "Oh, yeah. Sure." He can be begging me and begging me for something like turning on a video and when I finally say, "Okay, should we turn on a show?" he's like, "Oh, yeah. Sure." Even when he's angry with me, he makes me smile. I can't help it - when he yells, "Mom! My mad to you!" I have to smile. Having said that, I firmly believe that the "terrible twos" are NOTHING compared to the "threatening threes." Already, Josh has some attitude and anger management issues we need to tackle. The other day, I told him to come over and let me change his diaper (another issue I need to tackle) and he let out a piercing scream. Then he said, "Mom, when I say 'Ahhh' it means boys are mad to mommys." Okay. Good to know for future reference.
It's fun to see what kids will pick for a birthday dinner. I can't believe he'll eat pickles! My kids usually won't eat those for awhile. What a fun boy!
ReplyDelete