David says that one of the things he loves about having animals is that it forces you to be outdoors when you would normally never dream of going outside. He says he's seen some of the most beautiful things in his life while braving the elements to care for our animals. He's right. We've had some beautiful, clear, cold nights lately that I'd have totally missed if I had the choice. Many times this summer I was taken back by the beauty of nature while I was milking the goats.
This morning was the coldest it's been so far. There was a very hard frost on the ground and the weather channel said it was about 30 degrees. I wasn't too excited to go out there. I'm kind of a wimp sometimes. Anyway, I bundled up and went out. It really wasn't bad at all. It's more a matter of dressing appropriately for the weather than the weather itself. I got all set up and started milking Licorice. As I was doing so, I happened to look out over our yard. I was taken back by what a lovely sight it was. Everything was covered in ice - it almost looked like a dream. The sun was coming up over the house and starting to melt the frost. As it did so, a misty steam was rising from everything. Every little spider web glistened in the sun like a crystal string. The warm milk in the pail was so steamy it seemed like a bubbling cauldron. It was amazing. I couldn't help but say a little prayer of thanksgiving for the privilege of seeing such beauty and for a wonderful way to start my day.
Of course, all those good feelings vanished when I realized that we left our potatoes out in the frost last night (they're probably ruined) and then walked into our messy house.... sigh. If only spider webs were as beautiful inside the house as they are outside...
No comments:
Post a Comment