Friday, August 26, 2011

First Day of School

The girls started school on Wednesday.  I can't believe how FAST summer flew by!  Looking back, we sure had a great time, but I wish it was a bit longer.  A nearby school district decided to add 15 minutes to their school day in exchange for extending summer break until after Labor Day.  I'd be ALL for that!!!  Especially when you consider that June didn't actually count as summer this year.

Anyway, the girls were excited and a bit nervous for school to start.  Ali's entire class (minus about 5 kids) moved to the same third grade class.  Ali was one of the five that's not with her old friends, so she was disappointed and nervous.  Nicki was starting first grade and had a lot of fears about lunch and recess and buses, etc.  I was a little nervous for them too, but I exuded nothing but confidence in front of them (only Dave had to listen to me worry).  My biggest fear was that they wouldn't be home with me.  I miss them when they're gone so long!  I feel sad that they spend more of their waking time away from me than they do with me. 

Nicole's in first grade.
Alison's in third grade.

Josh wishes he could go to school too.

They were all awake, bright-eyed, and happy early in the morning (that lasted all of one day!)   They got ready quickly and we even had time to read the book I've been reading aloud to them for a few minutes before the bus came.  I waited for the bus with them so that I could chat with their bus driver, then I sent them on their way.  Of course, I quickly loaded up the boys and followed the bus to school (I've been doing that every year since Ali was in kindergarten - pathetic, huh?)  I was glad I did it this year because I was able to help the girls find their classrooms (which are right across the hall from each other) and meet their teachers.  I felt so good about everything that I didn't even cry!  That's amazing for me.  I cry all the time!

Waiting for the bus with our neighbor.
Ali getting on...

Nicki getting off.
I'm looking forward to my days with the boys.  It's totally strange right now, but I can tell it's going to be fun. I took them to the dollar store to buy first-day-of-school gifts for the girls and a bunch of activity books and games for Josh and I to work on while the girls are gone.  I also love the fact that the boys nap at the same time in the afternoon.  I can exercise, shower, study my scriptures and sometimes even clean a little before Bronson wakes up.  It's HEAVEN!! I haven't had alone time since Nicole was about three years old. 

The girls came home happy and excited.  They both love their teachers and are looking forward to learning.  Nicki said the day seemed to go by really fast.  I was worried it would feel super long for her (Ali, on the other hand, said she thought it would probably be dark outside when school was over because it took so long).  When Ali started Kindergarten, I inadvertently started a family tradition of having a first-day-of-school celebration.  We decorate the house with balloons and streamers, give the kids small gifts and treats and listen to every single detail about their day.  Dave told me I had a lot on my plate right now and I could probably let the party slide this year, but I told him that I'd rather let the laundry slide or something.  The fun family traditions that make our kids feel special and excited are NOT the things that I can let slide.  I admit, I was hanging streamers just minutes before the bus pulled up, but I was glad I did it because as soon as they walked in the house, I could see the girls' eyes scanning the room for decorations.  When they saw them, they grinned and lit up.  It was as if all was well in their lives.  And I think it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment