Sunday, February 2, 2020

My Health Troubles


I'm not sure why the Lord has blessed me with so many health struggles. It kind of stinks. But, oh well - He has. And it's part of our family's story so prepare yourself for a long boring post about my health.


Yay for me.
You may or my not remember that in 2018, I had an emergency appendectomy. We didn't know it at the time, but I didn't even have appendicitis.  Chances are, I didn't have to remove my appendix at all. (Or maybe I did - who knows?). The lab results showed that my appendix had terrible endometriosis scarring, etc.  And when they went in to take my appendix, they found a TON of terrible puss throughout my abdomen (again - endometriosis). So I was told that I needed to do something about it.  If it was bad enough - and clearly it was - endometriosis could attack your other organs.

In January, I went to my regular OBGYN, the one who delivered Quinton.  He looked at my files and photos from the surgeries I'd had (I also had an ovary removed in 2017 - again, due to endometriosis) and said, "Yes - this has got to come out.  You need a complete hysterectomy.  That's the only viable solution at this point." The problem was, as he put it, he wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole.  The likelihood of the scarring making me a mangled mess was too high.  It would probably be a difficult surgery, so he recommended a couple of specialists he thought would do a good job.

I few weeks later, I met with a specialist in Ogden.  She was not my favorite person.  In her defense, she was super pregnant at the time so maybe she was a little cranky.  She basically scolded me for not being on birth control pills (as if I was supposed to know that they help with endometriosis). She said she wanted me to get on the pill for a few months before she would do anything with me - the pill could help with the tissue damage.  She said that it should make me have little to no bleeding and that I would feel tons better.

Nope.  In fact, the opposite happened. (At this point, you may want to skip ahead a paragraph - I'm going to get a little gory).  A couple of weeks after I started taking the pill, I started bleeding.  I mean, really bleeding.  I literally couldn't leave my house for more than an hour or so.  I bled through my clothes almost daily - something I hadn't done since I was a young teenager. I ruined so many outfits, as well as chairs, etc.  I passed clots the size of my fist - not exaggerating.  It was awful!

I called my doctor, and after days and days of waiting, she finally got back with me and said she'd prescribe a different pill.  It only made things worse. After a month, I was literally getting weak from blood loss.  I called again, and she eventually called back and sent a third prescription.  This one stopped the bleeding.  Good thing, too.  I was bleeding to death.  I got the bleeding to stop in April, and when I went into surgery in May, they were considering giving me a blood transfusion before hand because my blood count was still so low!  It's a really strange feeling to have to rest all the time, just from doing simple things.

I had the hardest time getting any kind of help from the doctor, so I decided to find a different one.  More about that later. That's all you need to know for now.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I didn't know all of these details. I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete