I should mention real quick that Alison was not happy at Davis High School. The move to high school split up her group of friends - with most of them going to Layton High School. Of the three girls that went to Davis, one became really involved in drama and just naturally drifted away from the other two. If one was sick or needed to take a test at lunch, etc. the other one was all alone. Also, there is a very different feel at Davis HS. It is comprised of mostly wealthy families. Many of Alison's Davis friends went out of the country for fall break, Christmas break, spring break, etc. Davis is also known for having high standards. I went to a scholarship interview with Alison once, and the counselor told her not to be too discouraged with her GPA because colleges also look at other things (her GPA was 3.95). I was floored! Ali said no one would talk to each other as they walked down the halls. Even people who knew each other in Jr. high would not make eye contact with each other. Her friends at Layton HS would see her on the weekends and tell her all about how fun school was and how they talked to so-and-so in the hall, met new friends, etc. Anyway...I told Ali I would apply for a variance for the following year.
But I digress. The reason I tell you this is because the Davis High debate team was Alison's saving grace. She loved it from the first day of class. The kids in debate became like a second family to her. And, as I suspected, she discovered that she definitely had a talent for it. I was so nervous for her when she went to her first tournament (you can't really attend and watch. It's not an audience sport, and having people in there could be distracting). I texted her multiple times for updates. Debate tournaments go very late into the night. Finally she texted me back saying that the awards ceremony was over and she had taken 2nd place in her event. What?!?!?
| One of the many trophies she and her partner, Malani won. |
| You see that since I couldn't get pictures of her debating, I had to steal these from her Instagram. |
No comments:
Post a Comment