Tech Free Tuesday was such a great thing for our family last year that I decided to carry on the tradition this summer. Bronson was thrilled. The rest of the kids put up a fight. Of course, that only proved further how BADLY we need Tech Free Tuesday. I have to admit, it's not exactly my favorite day of the week either, but I know it makes a big difference. So I persist.
In case you forgot what Tech Free Tuesday is, its the one day per week when we don't turn on the television, computer, tablets, etc. The kids are always asking, "can we use the microwave?" or "can I play with my toys that have batteries?"etc. I tell them, "Yes! It's Tech Free Tuesday, not Amish Tuesday!" I am always amazed (like re-amazed every single week) at how much time we have to spend together when we aren't plugged in. This is a good thing, and also a bad thing. There seems to be a lot more fighting on Tuesdays. I guess that's a side-affect of de-zombiefying siblings and I hope it lessens over time.
For the most part, the days aren't too different. The kids play outside a lot (but they do that anyways), we might go swimming or to a park, etc. I'm more likely to bake with them or make a special treat. But, we also do fun activities - at least one per week. Throughout the summer, I'll post some of the fun activities we do on our special Tuesdays.
On our first Tech Free Tuesday of the summer, I assigned Alison and Bronson to create a "Book Nook." They gathered every blanket and pillow they could find and designed a comfy, private, quiet place to sit and read. When it was finished, the four older kids ate a picnic lunch and read for a while. It was amazing. I wish we could have left it up for weeks, but since it was compiled of blankets and pillows from everyone's beds, it only lasted until bedtime.
 |
| Impossible to capture the scope of the Book Nook with my tablet camera (lost my camera temporarily). |
 |
| Alison held a grand opening ceremony. I was the dignitary that got to cut the ribbon! |
 |
| Picnic in the Book Nook! |
 |
| Alison is in a private reading area. Cozy! |
 |
| Josh is in another private reading area - the tee-pee. Nicole and Bronson were together - Nicki reading to her brother. |
Another quick, easy activity that kept the kids busy for a while was making collages.
This last week, we had a fun water party out in the neighborhood with our friends.
 |
| Let the good times roll! |
No comments:
Post a Comment