Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Father's Day 2014

Poor David got ripped off a little bit this year on Father's Day.  I was asked to speak in Sacrament meeting and the stress/preparation of that kind of eclipsed him - at least in the morning.  It was one of those times when I worked on my talk for more than a week and wrote at least two completely different talks before it finally came together in the middle of the night and the early morning on the day I had to give it. Consequently, Father's Day morning was not spent making a fancy breakfast and opening presents.

I was assigned to speak about my own father and about our Heavenly Father.  I kept to the subject pretty well, so I didn't talk about David at all.  So let me just say here for the record that I think David is an amazing, conscientious, dedicated, hard working, righteous father.  I appreciate him and love him more than ever as the years go by.  He rocks. But my talk wasn't about him.  It was about my Daddy-O (who also rocks, by the way).  He came to hear the talk, along with my mom and Grandma Church.  I was the final speaker and the woman before me went over her time, so I was forced to chop my talk in half.  Oh well.  Such is life.

We planned on making french toast for breakfast, but our morning was too hectic.  So we had it for lunch after church instead. Yummy!  Then, we opened presents with Dad.  He got a few small things - one or two were surprises, one or two weren't what he wanted.  He'll have to return them.  Oh well - at least we gave it a good college try.



The afternoon was spent resting and playing quietly.  Then, for dinner, we had Dave's fantastic hamburgers and corn on the cob.  We had ice cream cones with magic shell for dessert.  That's about the extent of our celebration this year.  Poor David!  We really do love him!  We just kind of "survived" this year.  Next year, I'm going to make Father's Day extra special (unless I have a four month old baby and I'm speaking again...).

No comments:

Post a Comment