Thursday, September 12, 2013

First Day Of School

School started earlier in the year than it has in the past.  I guess Davis County School District decided to get more lined up with the other districts in the area.  I wish it had been the other way around!  I liked having school start after Labor day and end in June.  Getting out in May is too early - it's usually raining for the first week or two of summer break and going back to school in August is silly!  It's still 90-100 degrees outside!

Sorry!  Off on a little rant there...  Anyway, school started on August 26th.  Man!  It seemed like summer flew by!  Of course, it kind of did since the change in our district's schedule robbed our kids of a couple of weeks.  The girls were bummed, but also pretty excited.  We had a fun time school shopping in the weeks leading up to school.  Its fun to see their own distinct styles start to emerge. 

We actually got ready so quickly in the morning that we had time to stop at the nearby donut shop on our way to school.  Might as well get their new school clothes all covered in frosting, right.  Getting donuts for the kids without getting one for myself is one of the hardest things I've ever done!  I like donuts, but I'm not a fanatic or anything.  Still, the smell of fresh donuts is pretty hard to resist!!!  Oh well, this won't last forever.  We went to school with the girls and met each of their teachers.  I only got a little teary for a second, and I don't think anyone noticed.  Good for me!

Nicole started third grade.  Her new teacher, Mrs. Freebairn, has been teaching for years and she's pretty much got it down.  I think it will be a great year for Nicki.  One thing I didn't miss over the summer was all the friend drama.  Nicki really had a nasty group of friends in her last class.  The kids weren't nasty, but the fighting was!  They're just really really dramatic.  Everyone was always fighting!  There were times when Nicki didn't want to go to school because she didn't want to deal with the stress.  I was glad to hear that none of her old friends are in her new class, but she still plays with many of them at recess.  I guess we'll just watch and see how it all works itself out.


Alison is in fifth grade.  Her teacher, Mrs. Lacy, is fun and energetic and has lots of great ideas and activities.  I wish I was in her class!  It looks like Alison will have a great fifth grade year.  She considered running for student office, but decided to postpone that until next year so that she can focus on drama or choir or something like that. 




While the girls were in school, the boys and I ran to the store and got some decorations.  Then we ran to Grandma Smith's house because she had a few items to donate to our dinner.  After that, we went home and prepared for the girls' return.  They got out early on the first day, so we picked them up and brought them home.  I think they liked their little celebration. 

For dinner that night, we all had sack lunches in honor of school.  I decorated the table back-to-school-y.  I also made back to school drinks - red punch with green straws that had a paper leaf taped to them and a gummy worm hanging over the glass.   It was pretty fun.  Now, it's time to bet back to the grindstone...

You can't really see, but I wrote every one's name all fancy on their sacks.
Sandwich, applesauce, Cheetos, carrots and cherry tomatoes, and gogurt (I didn't think about the sugar in that gogurt until it was too late and boy did I pay for it).  Dave and the kids also had a cookie in their lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment