Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Antelope Island Stampede

Again, I am writing a post about something fun we did thanks to my dad.

On August 31st, dad asked if the girls and I would like to go to the Antelope Island Stampede with him.  He had to attend because of the Chamber.  Grandma didn't really want to go - she had a lot to do at home, so Grandpa was looking for some company.  Of course, we said YES!!!  (the boys had to go to bed, so they stayed home)

The Stampede is an annual event.  It's super fun! It's held on Antelope Island, in the Great Salt Lake.  There are tons of vendor and food booths everywhere, a huge stage with live bands, kite flying demos (both GIANT beasts the size of a house and stunt kite teams), plus anyone can bring their own kites from home and fly them as well, hot air balloons everywhere, and lots of fun entertainment.  

Love those people!  A few minutes before this picture was taken, that balloon was laying on the ground deflated.  They blow up quickly!

It was such a beautiful night!  

We ate a "ribbon potato" which is a potato that a guy skewers onto a hand drill, then spins it against a sharp blade so it's one long ribbon.  Then, he fries it.  It's something like a cross between a french fry and a potato chip.  It was good.  Grandpa and the girls had snow cones (no sugar for me still).  We played frisbee golf - the guy at that booth gave me a huge lesson, but my dad still beat me.  Then we played with giant (and I mean, bigger than us) bubbles. A.w.e.s.o.m.e.   Afterwards, we watched a BMX bike trick demo.  I guess the guys were nationally recognized BMX-ers.  It was a pretty big deal, but I'm not into extreme sports enough to have known.  It was pretty amazing to watch some of those crazy tricks!  We loved watching the huge balloons get inflated up close and personal.  That's incredible!  And the group kite flying is mind boggling!  How do they even DO that?!??!  Nicki wanted to try the rock climbing wall and she made it all the way to the top, no problem.  After dark, we stayed and watched a band perform for about a half hour or so before decided to go home. We all sang along and Nicki even got up and danced.  What a rock star!
Playing with the bubbles.

Those poles with a lot of little loops make TONS of little bubbles.  

These other ones make huge bubbles.

The guy in the black T-shirt was fun.  He kept yelling at the little kids to "Stop killing the bubbles!"  which made the little ones giggle and try even harder to pop them.  He let my girls try out his bubble making thingy.  And he practically forced my dad to give it a whirl.  Seriously, my dad was like, "No, it's fine," and the guy was like, "Get over here!"  

This guy was the national champion or something.  He did a 540, landing backwards on the ramp. He had to try a couple of times before he landed it perfectly.  I almost closed my eyes, it was so intense!

There goes Nicki!

We had a great night!   As we were driving home across the Great Salt Lake, some place in Roy was setting off a huge firework show and we watched both the real fireworks and their reflections on the lake.  It was lovely.  Only one thing threatened to ruin our perfect night:  The LAKE SMELL!  I'm telling you, it was atrocious!  My dad thought he'd be funny and he rolled down a window right as we passed the worst part.  I thought I'd DIE!!!!  We were all breathing through our mouths, I was trying to mentally control myself so I didn't throw up, and Alison was freaking out in the back seat, "I can taste it!!!  I can taste it!"  I'm not exaggerating.  It was horrible!  But eventually it went away, and we all survived.  Other than the stench, it was a pretty amazing night!  Thanks, Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment