Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Baptism Day


Nicole Rae Gee was baptized on Saturday, May 13th at 2:00 pm at the "stone church" in Layton, Utah.  Our stake has each ward take their own time for baptisms, so it was just Nicki and one other boy from our ward (Jayden Outz, for future reference).  Grandma Smith gave a talk on the Holy Ghost, Grandma Gee gave a prayer, and Aunt Kristin played the piano.  We had lots of family there, so Nicki felt very special.  It was especially exciting for her to have some of her Idaho cousins show up.  That's quite a lot of driving in one day!  Their sacrifice made her day extra special.  Really, everyone did!  Everyone was so kind and thoughtful and generous with her and also so helpful to me throughout the day.  What a blessing family is!  What a tremendous impact every one of us makes on each other's lives!  I sure love our family - both the Smith side and the Gee side!

Let's see if I can do this: L to R: Jim, David, Evan, Scott above Jodi holding Eden, Katie, Megan, Payton, other Katie, Maddie, Isabelle, and Alison above Sander, who's above Hannah, Kristi in back, Nicki in the white, McKenna behind her.  Suzette, Ainsley, Addie, Gracie, Grandma Gee, Grandma Smith with Josh poking his head out from behind her, Grandma Church, Bronson and part of my head, Kristin, Grandpa Smith.

Our family.  That's about the best picture we could get.  Hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

David baptized and confirmed Nicki.  It was so fun for me to be in the dressing room with her right after the baptism.  I'm really going to miss that special moment when my boys are baptized!  She was so happy and glowing and jittery with excitement (or maybe she was just freezing).  We stood in front of a big mirror and looked at the newest baptized member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for a while.  While I was helping her get dressed, I stopped and looked her in the eyes and told her how much I loved her, and how special I thought she was, and how blessed I felt to be her mother.  She smiled and I thought we were having an important moment, until she looked at me and said, "Wait a minute.  Did you tell Alison all this when she got baptized too?" 

I regret to admit that I don't remember too much of what was said when David confirmed her.  Partly because I waited too long to write this post and partly because I was wrestling two very un-interested boys during the confirmation.  I remember him saying that she would continue to be an example and very loved by her parents and siblings throughout her life and that she would have a strong testimony of Jesus Christ and His gospel.  Those two things are good enough for me!
The cousins all came up to congratulate her afterwards.  So cute!  The man in the back is Brother Brown from our Bishopric.


After the baptism, everyone came over to our house for lunch/dinner.  We ate.  And ate.  And ate.  And tried to give away plates and plates of food.  And ate. And ate.  Then slept.  Then woke and ate.  And ate. And ate.  It was a blast!  It had been a long time since I'd had the opportunity to plan and shop for and prepare a big spread like that.  I LOVE to do it!  I guess I'll spare you the details because you probably don't love food like I do.  Oh, but it was fun!  I loved visiting with everyone and it's fun to watch the two sides of our extended family mingle. 
I had fun making a display of all Nicki's portraits throughout her life. It was a little shrine to Nicki.
So that is the nutshell-version of Nicki's big day.  We are so proud of our girl!  She is a natural peacemaker and friend to everyone.  I am so blessed to have a front row seat to watch her life as she continues to grow and learn.  It's gonna be quite a show!

No comments:

Post a Comment