Tuesday, September 4, 2012
Anniversary Weekend
On July 27th, David and I celebrated 10 years of wedded bliss. To celebrate, we went to Salt Lake City for a couple of days. We stayed in a hotel right next to the City Creek shopping center, a block or two from Temple Square. It was so wonderful! I felt like I was in a fairy tale - or some sort of time warp taking me back a decade or two. We ate at fancy restaurants, shopped in stores we wouldn't dare enter with the kids, exercised together each morning, went to the new Draper Temple, drove around town for fun, watched a movie (non-Disney!), ate a ton of Del Taco food in the middle of the night, and woke up in the morning when our bodies wanted to - not when some kid started shaking the crib! It was totally amazing! We really needed that little break. It was fun to look forward to it for a month before hand, end even more fun to actually experience. I have to admit - I love my children with an intensity I can't explain, but I got a little bit weepy on Saturday morning when we checked out of the hotel and I had to go back to real life.
Meanwhile, the kids were having the time of their lives with Grandma and Grandpa Gee! Dave's parents sacrificed a whole weekend (and perhaps several years off their lives) to drive down to our house and stay with the kids while we were gone. It sounds like they had a blast. The real highlight was when they all went to Antelope Island and waded in the Great Salt Lake. The water was pretty low, so they had to walk through a lot of very hot, heavy sand to get to the beach. They waded in the water for a while. Josh kept trying to keep his pant legs dry, but he'd squat down and stick his whole bum in the water! Funny boy! I get the impression from the grandparents that it was smelly, hot, and gross - the kids were all cranky and tired and filthy by the end (Josh collapsed face-first in the sand halfway back to the car and waited for Grandpa to carry Bronson to the van, then come back and rescue him), but the kids thought it was the coolest thing ever! They loved it and want to go back! For the rest of the time, Grandpa and Grandma also took them to a park, fed them pizza, watched movies with them, and just had plain old fun with them. We love and miss them so much! We were glad they offered to watch our kids so that they could be together again. Maybe we'll do it again in another decade or so...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So glad that you got to have a little break from the day-to-day ordinary stuff!! I hope you don't wait for a decade to do it again!
ReplyDelete