Monday, January 23, 2023

Who Needs A Thyroid Anyway?

In the first few days of March 2020, I went to the Davis Hospital to have a thyroidectomy. After years of trying to get my Graves' disease under control, my doctor and I decided that it would be best to just take the whole thing out.  He sent me to an ear, nose, and throat doctor to perform the actual surgery.


Of course David took the day off and came with me. We had lots of help from family and friends with our kids.  I think everything went smoothly - I mean, I was pretty much out of it the whole time, so I'm not SURE...  I THINK I might have told the doctor and nurses that the Davis Hospital is a "white trash" hospital right before the anesthesia kicked in.  I hope I didn't say it out loud.  But seriously - I've had a LOT of surgeries and this was the least impressive hospital of them all...

The recovery room in the "white trash" hospital was an experience.  David was allowed to be with me. It was a room with several beds divided by a curtain.  The man in the bed next to me was VERY vocal!  He was in pain, I guess. He moaned and whined very loudly!  It made coming out of anesthesia very strange.  But, after a while, he left us in peace.

 As far as the results went: in post-op lab work, they found a small cancerous tumor in my thyroid.  So I guess it was the right move to remove it!  The recovery was very fast and the scar is hardly noticable now (thanks to my ultra wrinkly neck that hides it). 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment