Sunday, May 29, 2016

Mother's Day 2016

Mother's Day was so long ago, I barely remember it!  It's taken me a while to find the time to write about it.  Here's what I remember:

The ladies all went out to eat instead of exchanging gifts again this year.  We went to the Timbermine steak house at the mouth of Ogden canyon.  It was DELIGHTFUL!  Timbermine is dark.  You know - it's a mine! So we couldn't get really great photos.
My sisters.  They both have CRAZY lives right now so it was pretty miraculous just to get them there.  

After dinner, we wandered around the Quilted Bear (a crafty store) for a while.  We had some pretty great laughs, even though we were so stuffed from dinner we could barely walk.

Saturday was busy, as usual  We had soccer and basketball, and some friends' baptisms to attend.  We had a yard  and home to clean up and kids to feed.  In the evening, David and I went to the temple.  Afterwards, we went to Kneader's Bakery and bought a ton of half-priced pastries for the next day. (After 8:00 on Saturday, they mark everything to half price.  It's awesome!)  Then, we brought a few over to my mom so she could have a little Mother's Day treat too. 
So Mother's Day itself started with a crazy delicious breakfast! Actually, it started with Bronson sneaking past his dad, who was trying to let me sleep in, and climbing in bed with me to be the first one to wish me a Happy Mother's Day.  I loved it.  Shortly after that, Josh snuck in too, bearing many notes and pictures that he'd been making for me.  In Quin came as well, bearing a stinky diaper, which David changed.  Let the spoiling begin!

David bought me a smoothie maker - our blender broke months ago.  I sure love having a blender again!  I threw away a lot of over-ripe produce when I was blender-less.  All the kids made me something at school (Ali made me a pottery jewelry holder, Nicki made homemade bath salts, Josh made a heart shaped key ring) and I was overrun by homemade cards, notes, pieces of art, and other tokens of affection all throughout the day!

In church, in addition to giving all the women a cute gift (heart shaped measuring spoons), the bishop did something special.  During the last hour of church, he had all the women meet for an ice cream social.  He had asked the young women to teach the primary children so that the leaders of those two organizations could go to the social.  He spoke to us for a few minutes, then we all went into the gym and had sundaes and visited with one another.  It was fun.

I don't really remember details about the afternoon/evening, but I'm sure it involved delicious food, and me laying around a lot while everyone took care of the house and each other so I could rest.  They always spoil me on Mother's Day.
Every day is pretty good when you're the mother of these crazy kids, but they really turned on the charm for me on this special day.  Of course, it looks like Josh wasn't too charming when this picture was taken.  Oh well,  Four out of five is a pretty good percentage.  I guess I'll take it.  I'm really just going for percentages most of the time anyway... who likes dinner and who hates it, how clean our house is, how many of us like whatever activity we are currently doing, how many days in a week that nobody throws up or wets a bed,,,greater than 50% and I'm good.  There's a little Mother's Day wisdom for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment