Monday, January 4, 2016

Christmas Season Recap:

I'm sorry, but I don't think I have a single picture of any of these events.  Illustration time again:

1) The day after Thanksgiving is always super exciting around here.  We put up the tree and all the other Christmas decorations, listen to Christmas music for the first time, eat delicious Thanksgiving left overs, and usually do a little Black Friday shopping.  This year was even better than normal because David took the day off.  We had a great time including him in our regular traditions, and we also enjoyed watching a video together.
Decorating the Christmas tree.

2) The not-so-fun part of the day after Thanksgiving is that Quinton got SUPER sick!.  He went from perfectly fine to runny-nosed to if-he-wasn't-my-fifth-kid-I'd-probably-take-him-to-the-ER in only a few hours.  It was frightening - but Nicole had RSV as a kid so I'm pretty well practiced at soothing a croupy baby.  I took him to urgent care first thing Saturday morning.  You should have seen the other people there simultaneously pitying and backing away from the boor sick baby. The doc was very concerned.  He gave us antibiotics, steroids, and very strict instructions on when to take him to the ER.  Luckily, the antibiotics kicked in pretty quickly and he started getting better very soon (until about a week later when he got sick again...).
What a sad baby! Doesn't that look just like him?

3) Our schedule was filled with fun events: Our ward party was adult-only this year.  We had a catered dinner, and the Davis High School's bell choir for entertainment.  Ali had a choir concert - which was very nice.  Of course, the Smith family Bingo party was a huge hit!  I love that party more than a lot of things, but my kids love it more than life itself!  I was lucky enough to attend a Christmas party at the Timbermine Restaurant with my dad since it fell on a Wednesday (My mom works at the temple that night).  YUM!  I had a ball!  David's work had a fun Christmas lunch and white elephant gift exchange. And of course every single week was a Young Women's Christmas party/event of some sort. It was a very festive season.

4) Nicki's Jr. Jazz basketball team made it to the finals!  This is mostly due to their awesome center - Nicole!  She made the winning basket in double-overtime at the semi-final game.  It was a BLAST!! They didn't win the championship, but it was amazing to think that they even made it to the finals because they lost their first three or four games.  Each member of their team learned and improved so much over the season!  It's fun to watch them grow (and it's also fun to beat teams that beat you in the past)!
Nicki scoring the winning shot!

5) Our heater semi-broke during the holidays.  We were able to patch it up and hope for the best until our tax return, but it could go any day...yay...  Someday I want to have a tax return that isn't spent before it gets here....

6) My dad was invited to go see Star Wars on Thursday night (the day before it officially opened).  Guess who he took with him as his guest!  Give up?  He took Quinton.  Just kidding- he took ME!!!  Oh was is fun!  I smiled the whole time.  In case you didn't know, I tend to get excited about things.  Its so much more fun going through life overjoyed all the time instead of too cool to enjoy things.  Star Wars was one thing that I was overjoyed about!

7) The last day of school before the Christmas break was Friday, the 18th.  I brought doughnuts and helped with Nicole's class party.  We also stayed for the school-wide sing-a-long.  Then I checked her out early.  She stayed home with sleeping boys while I picked up Josh and Walker (our neighbor) from school.  When they were home, I ran over to my brother Scott's house.  He was closing on the sale of his home that week so I helped him vacuum and clean a little.  I got home just in time to load up the kiddos and head over to Ogden to see Christmas Village.  We met my parents, Megan, and Kristin's family there.  David met us when he got off work.  Then, we all went to Jim's Burgers for dinner - Katie and the rest of her crew met us there.  We had a great time - I'm not sure I could say the same thing for the workers who had to serve our huge crowd.  That night, after the boys were in bed, I threw up.  I figured it must have been from the doughnuts-for-breakfast kind of day I had.  However....
I don't have the patience to draw all the lights at Christmas Village.

8)  On Saturday the 19th, I woke up in pain.  You know how when you have a fever you hurt in weird places?  Your femur throbs, your elbow is aching, etc.  Yeah - that was me.  I also had severe sinus issues, a huge headache, and a sore throat.  However, we had a basketball final and a piano recital to attend, so I took ibuprofen and trudged on.  When I woke up on Sunday, I was still feverish and there was no sound coming out of my mouth.  I could barely squeak!  So, I was not able to perform with the ward choir for our Christmas program.  I was so sad that I was missing it - I went to Sacrament meeting and listened instead. Then, I went home and plopped in bed.  I wasn't much better on Monday.  I went to the doctor hoping for a miracle.  He said that he was pretty sure it was a virus, but that my eyes and nose looked awful and there was liquid behind my eardrum.  And since it was so close to Christmas, he would put me on heavy antibiotics, just in case. To make a long story short, the antibiotics didn't help.  It was definitely a virus.  After five days, I called the doc and asked if I could stop taking them because I was getting sick in other ways.  He said I could.  On Christmas Eve eve (or the middle of the night before Christmas Eve) I started throwing up.  I threw up for three solid days.  I was feverish for a total of nine days.  I'm writing this about a week and a half later and I STILL don't feel 100%.  Luckily, no one else in the family had it as bad as me - everyone took turns feeling crummy for a day or two, but no body was horrible.  We also had a nice time watching Star Wars episodes 4, 5, and 6 and The Santa Clause series together.  That's one nice thing about being sick - TV (and book) time.

No comments:

Post a Comment