Sunday, July 12, 2015

20 Year High School Reunion

It had been 20 years since I graduated from high school.  Yikes!  I am ancient!  I'm like the Crypt Keeper!  Just kidding.

My high school reunion was held on June 20th (fun fact: Grandpa Gee's birthday).  I tried not to be too nervous or too vain about it, but I kind of was.  I bought new clothes, dieted a little, the whole nine yards.  I know: LAME!  But that's the hard truth, folks.

In the late morning, there was a family picnic.  It was held at Ben Lomond High School.  The school I went to has been torn down (except for a couple buildings) and a fancy newfangled thing has been built in its place. There were lots of people that I KNEW in attendance, but no one that I hung out with.  Still, it was fun to visit with lots of people and hear about their lives.

Go Scots!
Touring the school.

Cutest baby there!

I suppose it was a BIT awkward when I introduced my children to the guy I used to be engaged to.  It probably shouldn't have been awkward - I just didn't handle it correctly.   I mean, he WORKS with David.  They see each other all the time!  But this was the first time they ever acknowledged that they knew each other's relationship to me (it just doesn't come up in regular office conversations, you know?)  And the girls know who Mark is, but we kind of acted like they didn't.  I was like, "This is Mark...He...works with dad..."  It was bad.  But really, what could I have done?  Should I have just said, "Hey! This is the guy I almost married!  He could have been your dad, kids!  Ask HIM for money!"
At the dinner: L-R: Monte Stoffers, Me, Jeremy "Chuck" Charlesworth, Mark Hoyal (yeah, THAT Mark).

That evening, there was a graduate-and-guest only dinner at the Timbermine Steakhouse.  Again, not a single one of my close friends showed up.  A few pretty good friends, but non of the every-day crew.  That was okay though, because it allowed me to talk to a ton of people that I may not have talked to otherwise.  We sat at a table with a wild, drinking bunch and we honestly had a ball.  There was a photo booth set up with tones of props.  That was fun!  I want a photo booth in my home!  Talk about a good time!
Our table-mates.  Whew...That's all  I can say.

Jeremy "Chuck" Charlesworth and his wife, Becky.  Fun fact:  Becky is my sister-in-law Jenny's little sister.

Melissa Oney and Faith Shreeve, two dance friends.

By FAR my favorite person in the room!  I love this man!  Going to your spouse's high school reunion is not generally very fun, but he was so great!    

I was so disappointed that I didn't get to see some of my best friends, so I got on facebook and the phone, and I set up a little 20 year reunion of my own.  I tracked down Kim Kenley and Tanna Fraga: the three of us were inseparable my senior year.  I also found Katrina Floyd, who was like a sister to me for YEARS - in high school, our careers, and beyond.  We sent out a group message to some friends from high school, saying that anyone could join us, and two ladies did:  Carrie Turner and Debbie Benford.  We met at Warrens Craft Burger in Ogden.  I was so excited and so nervous that I was literally shaking!  I can not even express what a great time I had.  We laughed for HOURS!  We heard all about each others' lives over the past 20 years and shared a few funny memories from the past.  It was so fun and so comfortable - it felt like no time had past at all.  We didn't want to leave!
Me and Kat.  LOVE that woman!  Tried to name a child after her, but we kept having boys!!!

Tanna and Kim.  I can't even LOOK at them without a whole lot of fun memories flooding my brain!

Deb, telling us some crazy story from her crazy life.  Carrie had to leave early and we didn't get any pictures of her.  

Ohp!  There we are again!
Good friends!  I hope we get together again some time.  Preferably before another 20 years pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment