Monday, December 15, 2014

Science At It Finest

Our first family had its first experience ever with a science fair this year.  I've never been a fan.  In fact, when I was a kid, I was the only person in my class who opted to write a 10 page research paper instead of doing a science project.  But Alison is more brave then I was (or else her teachers didn't give the research paper option) because she did it!

Her project was a taste test to see if there was a difference between different root beer brands.  She tested about 50 people - her classmates, some family members, even our neighbors.  We set up a taste test table in our front yard and nearly the whole neighborhood turned out in the name of science.  That was a fun night.  She worked hard to keep it scientific and statistically sound.

Interestingly, MOST people thought they would love A&W the best.  Kudos to A&W for their marketing strategy because everyone thinks they love them.  In reality though, it was a virtual three way tie between A&W, Barqs, and Mug.  It really comes down to preference - one is more sweet, one's more spicy, etc.

Alison's project was one of the top ten in her class.  She didn't win the fair, but she wasn't heart broken by that.  It was just fun to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment