I tried to think of something I could do with the kids that would still be fun, but not quite as expensive or easy to lose children at. I came up with the following: After school (Fridays are "early out" days for our kids - they get through at 1:25 pm), we came home and quickly barreled through our piano/homework routine. Then, we drove to Ogden to see "Turbo" at the cheap theater. The girls had seen it previously, but it was new to the boys and to me. It was a really cute movie, I think. I only saw about half of it due to a dirty diaper, a huge pop spill, and a couple of refill runs. Just livin' the dream...just livin' the dream...
After the show, we quickly drove to the Hastings Book Store in Ogden for a book signing with one of our favorite authors, Brandon Mull. He wrote the Fablehaven series. Alison is a HUGE fan! She recently got me to read "only the first book" knowing full well that I'd be forced to read them all! I was just starting book three when we went to the signing. Nicole's teacher is reading the first book out loud to her class, so she's a fan as well. You know who's NOT a fan of Brandon Mull? Josh and Bronson. They had spent hours in a long line just the day before and they were not interested in being in one again! Also, they were a little hopped up on popcorn and soda pop. So, I improvised. I left the girls in line while the boys and I went back out to the van. We have a portable DVD player in there. We watched an episode of "The Justice League." By the time it was over, my hero, Dad showed up. He took the boys home, fed them some eggs and toast, and put them to bed. I went back into the bookstore and waited in line with the girls.
Yes, the line was long. But, bookstores are great places to be stuck in a line. There's plenty of entertaining and educational stuff to look at while you wait. Brandon Mull was incredibly kind and patient with all of his fans. It was sweet to watch him interact with a boy a few people ahead of us who had some physical disabilities. He was also patient with the mother ahead of us who totally mortified her daughter by telling Brandon that her daughter was a great author - perhaps even better than Brandon... I tell you, he probably meets all kinds of people at his signings. He signed every book people put in front of him. Some brought stacks!
Finally, our turn came. Nicki went first. She had a couple of books to get signed for my sister. Nicki jabbered away. No shyness there: "These books aren't for me, they're my aunt's. I'm a big fan. My teacher is reading your book to the whole class...we're at the part where...." Brandon listened carefully and said, "Oh, just wait. You're at the good part! It gets exciting from here." Alison was next. She had three books with her. While he signed them, she asked if he'd be writing any more Fablehavens. He said he's working on some new ones right now! She was thrilled. Then, Nicki took over the conversation again: "Alison loves your books. She's read them all. She reads fast. She's really smart. She skipped first grade." Brandon was like, "Oh. That was probably good since you're so tall." It was cute. Anyway...he thanked the girls for being fans, told them to be looking for some new books coming soon, and posed for a picture.
We got home late, but meeting Brandon Mull was totally worth it. Alison was on cloud nine! She had met one of her favorite authors in person! It may have been a crazy, impromptu adventure, but overall, I thought it was pretty fun. I think it was better than a crowded, expensive school carnival any day!





What an awesome day! I love, love, love the Fablehaven series! Totally worth the wait.
ReplyDelete