Tuesday, October 22, 2013

How Social Media Improves Our Marriage

Who knew that You Tube would be so helpful in our married life?

Last night, I was trying to vent to David.  My life feels out of control right now.  I am getting everything done that NEEDS to be done, but always at the last minute, rushed and stressed.  From the moment I wake up to the time I go to sleep, I'm rushing to get people fed, lunches made, homework finished (WHY do the kids have so many dang PROJECTS!?!?!) birthday presents/meals/cakes bought or made, Halloween costumes figured out, laundry caught up, dishes done, sick kids cared for, VT, choir, and personal scripture study completed, exercise, shower, and occasionally makeup applied, etc. etc. etc. etc.  I keep a running to-do list on my tablet and I've NEVER been able to cross everything off (that's partly because I have things like "paint the kitchen " on the list, but still...) and there are many MANY things that I just have to let go right now because I will never get to them.  Things like buying maternity clothes or taking a nap.

So, last night I was finally doing the dinner dishes at about 9:00 pm.  Dave barely walked in the door from buying Josh's birthday presents for me (my hero!) and I was telling him about how frazzled and stressed out I feel.  He started to say something like, "It sounds like you just need to take a half hour and sit and think.  Get yourself organized..."  I stopped him right there and said, "Dave.  It's not about the nail."  He laughed and shut up.   I love that man!  I'm so glad we have a shared vocabulary from a short video on You Tube.  Have you seen it?  The wife has an actual nail protruding from her head as she complains to her husband about the pain she feels.  He wants to remove the nail, but she's like "Just listen to me!  Don't try to fix it!"  Ha ha! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg

It's got to be frustrating for Dave to listen to me complain about a problem that he feels he can fix.  But really, all I needed last night was a person to listen to me whine.  He tried for a while, but I ended up saying, "Never mind.  I'll  just call my mom in the morning."

3 comments:

  1. I saw the video too. Although I identified with the husband, so I guess Dave has the nail in his head. Or maybe we both have a nail in our head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to add a "hang in there!" This time of year is notoriously busy and so overwhelming for moms, especially for moms with October Birthdays to plan for. I swear all the extra stuff (Halloween, Fall fun, etc.) along with the school projects and every church event you can think of just hits at once. I think it's awesome you are maintaing the NEED TOs, anything else is gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids showed me this a few weeks ago. So funny!! And sheesh Kelley! Why don't you call me sometime when you're feeling overwhelmed? we could have one of those "misery loves company" conversations!!:)

    ReplyDelete