Sunday, July 29, 2012

We've Decided To Become Hikers

I've never been a huge fan of hiking.  My parents are die-hards.  Historically speaking, whenever they dragged me on a hike with them, I'd whine and complain until they lost their tempers and threatened to kill me (slight exaggeration) or let me find a rock somewhere to read on while I waited for them to finish up and return.  I happened to marry another die-hard hiker.  I don't think he fully disclosed that before our wedding.  I would have remembered that.   I knew I was in trouble when we'd been married three months and he took me on the Table Rock hike.  Table Rock is a large flat mountain top west of the Grand Tetons.  It's about a 12 mile round trip hike that climbs from about 5,000 to 11,000 feet.   I did it, and it was beautiful, but let's just say I haven't been back since.  Luckily, he took me when we were still newlyweds, so I was on my best behavior and kept my cursing to myself.  :)

Now we live about a mile from the base of the mountains.  There is a wonderful trail head just a few minutes drive from our home.  Our kids are getting older and more enthusiastic about adventures.  Nicole in particular has decided that she is going to become a die-hard hiker like her dad and grandparents.  I'm even starting to think that this could be a wonderful family activity.  It's beautiful, healthy, exciting, cheap, and we're all together for long periods of time.  It will get significantly easier when Bronson doesn't have to be carried most of the way- that boy's a TANK!!!  But for now, we'll take what we can get.  Who knows - maybe someday we'll all hike to Table Rock together. 







1 comment:

  1. Josh looks like he has been working hard to get up. You know with the shirt looking ripped.

    -Meg

    ReplyDelete