Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Winds Of Change Part II

I don't have time to do this right now, but I want to make sure that I keep up this family history so that my grandchildren can read about our lives many years from now.  So I'm making this a priority.

Our lives have taken a huge, unexpected turn in the past few weeks. It culminated in David's accepting a job offer in Bountiful, Utah on Monday and us putting our home up for sale this morning.  How we got to this point is almost unexplainable, but I'll try.

David had been plugging along at his job for almost nine years when all heck broke loose last January.  I wrote about it back then, remember?  Anyway, once things started to change around work, David decided that it was time to find a new job.  He spent one evening creating a new resume so that he could apply to a few places in Rexburg and Idaho Falls.  The very next morning, my dad called and said, "Kell, you know you shouldn't tell me things about David looking for a job, right?"   He said that he was at a meeting with the president of  South Davis Hospital the day before and had mentioned that his son-in-law was thinking about changing jobs.  My dad said he was wondering if there were any PT jobs at the hospital so that he could move his grand kids  closer.  The President said that his hospital usually contracts out their physical therapy, but he's involved in who the contractor hires, so Dad should get a copy of David's resume to him.  My dad hadn't even mentioned the conversation to me before the president called him a day or two later asking for the resume because he had a meeting with the contractor.  When he called, Dad asked me, "Does David even have an updated resume?"  Actually - yes, he did.  He just BARELY did.  So I e-mailed a copy of it to my dad and called David to tell him what had happened.  We both laughed, knowing that nothing would probably come of it.

Well, a few days later, the president of the hospital talked to my dad again.  He said, "I didn't know THAT was the resume you'd be sending me! That's the kind of person we'd like to hire for our hospital directly!"  That was flattering to hear.  They wanted him to work for the home-health section of the hospital.  Meanwhile, David was applying and interviewing for jobs closer to home.  He was offered jobs, but not really ideal situations - either less money, no guarantee of hours, or 7-on-7-off type schedules.  (I'm trying to shorten this story considerably.) When David went to the interview in Bountiful a couple of weeks ago, it seemed almost too good to be true.  Not only was the base salary good (which is good in and of itself - many PT jobs are paid hourly, which has been a problem for us since last July when things stared slowing down at work) it also offered a bonus for every visit Dave performs after a certain number per day.  That's virtually unheard of in the PT world.  Basically, David could choose how much money he'd make to a certain degree, with the real possibility of making a lot of money if he wanted to.  On top of that, the benefits were much better than any other place.  It just seemed like they had a more employee-based mindset than the other jobs.  My dad said they had won awards for the past two years in a row for being the best employer in the area. As far as jobs went, Utah was the clear winner.

In spite of the fact that the job looked great, the decision to move was nearly unbearable.  For a while, we talked about turning the job down.  We've lived in Idaho for most of our married lives.  All four of our children were born here.  We have family and close friends and roots here.  We love our yard and animals and home and ward and schools and so much more!  It hurts to think of leaving.  So, we almost decided not to.  But we just couldn't shake the feeling that we needed to keep thinking about it.

Last Saturday, we decided to move forward with the move to Utah.  It just made the most sense and we felt like we needed to make SOME sort of decision before we both went mad.  Dave's parents reminded us that Elder Bednar said that you need to make the best decision possible with the information you have and then move forward.  If it's wrong and you're acting in faith, Heavenly Father can stop you.  We fasted and attended the temple with this decision in mind.  Almost before we began, I knew we were leaving.   It was exciting to think about the possibilities and the exciting times that await us, even though I am sick at heart at the thought of leaving.  I'm not sure why we have to move, but I'm perfectly confident that God does. 

In the mean time, I've been painting and cleaning and working like I've never worked before to try to get this house ready to sell.  Here's hoping that it sells quickly.  We've done the two-house-payments thing before and it's not very fun.

1 comment:

  1. Waaaaaaah! I'm sad you're leaving. But I'm excited for you guys too.

    ReplyDelete