Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sue's Devotional Address

Last Tuesday, David's little sister Suzette gave the devotional address at BYU-I.  That's HUGE!!!  It's like talking at stake conference times 30 or more!!  She did an amazing job.  I'm sure it was a super stressful day for her, but I had a blissful time.  Let me tell you about it.

Suzette invited all her local siblings and their spouses, as well as her parents and Grandma Shirley to be her guests at a special luncheon.  We ate a delicious and beautiful salmon meal with some of the administration of the college (a couple VPs, her dean and department head, etc.)  It was so fun to eat a nice meal with our family and no crazy kids running around.  We had some good laughs and pleasant conversations while we ate.  It was fun to listen to Jim talk with some of his old co-workers and even more fun to listen to Sue talk about the projects she's involved in.  She's such a cool lady, I'm telling you.  The whole thing kind of made me nostalgic for my business days.  I miss all the luncheons and parties and committees and projects and what not.  That's about all I miss, though (besides the paychecks).  Going to a luncheon before your sister speaks is much more fun than going to one for your own job.
Waiting for all her guests to arrive...
After the luncheon, we went to the conference center where Sue was going to speak.  It is HUGE!!!  I mean, it could comfortably seat the entire student body of BYU-I and maybe a few others as well.  15,000 seats.  No pressure, Sue!  We waited for a few minutes in the green room behind stage.  I couldn't help but think of all the great people (apostles and such) who have been in that room before.  Anyway, after a while, we went out to the stage.  Sue looked cool, calm, and collected but I was kind of freaking out!  She had three or four teleprompters and there were TV screens every few feet behind the podium for us stage-folk to see.  It was incredible.  I used to work as a stage hand at our theater in WSU so I was amazed by all the technical stuff: the lighting, the soundboard, the cameras and teleprompters.  It takes a lot of people dressed in solid black to put on a show, even a one-person devotional address. 
Terry, Kristi, Suzette, Jim, Grandma Shirley, Marilyn, myself, David, Amy and Shawn.  If this picture doesn't motivate me to go on a diet, nothing will. 

In the green room right before heading out to the stage.

Sue's talk was amazing.  She spoke on patience.  She had just the right balance of humor and poise.  She was profound, yet not overwhelming.  Her talk was uplifting and encouraging.  You can watch or listen to it online at byui.edu.  I was so proud of her/nervous for her that I was pretty teary-eyed the whole time.  I just love that girl!  I'm sure she was glad when it was over, but I didn't want it to end.
Sister Gee (taken after the talk was over).
Greeting students afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment