Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Little Scare

Last Thursday night, while I was preparing dinner, my heart started doing crazy things.  It started beating out of sync. Every few beats or so would be really hard and a little too quick, followed by several half-beats or something.  I don't know how to explain it, but it was freaking me out! I guess the best way to explain it is by saying that the hard beats feel like getting startled or frightened and the little catch-up half beats feel like a death in the family or a bad break-up or some other heart ache.  I wasn't in pain or lightheaded or anything, just distracted by the strange heart arrhythmia that was beating in my throat.  I have felt something like it occasionally whenever I am pregnant, but only for a few seconds - not sustained for several hours. 

I made David listen to my heart and he said it was indeed very distinct and abnormal.  He tried to help me stop it with deep breaths, but it didn't work.  In spite of my heart issues, I had a lot to do that evening.  I mean, heart or no heart, some things just can't wait!  So I headed off to swimming lessons and a soccer game.  When I came home at 9:00 pm, it was still going haywire.  Luckily, I was able to sleep through it, but every time I woke up, I could still feel it.

I called the doctor as soon as he opened in the morning and set an appointment.  What do you think happened then?  That's right - it stopped beating irregularly and became completely normal.  Leave it to my heart to have a 15 hour arrhythmia spell that lasts from the time the doctor office closes at night until it opens in the morning.  The doctor took an EKG and some blood tests (all of which were completely normal) but found nothing wrong with me.  In fact, he was impressed with my overall good health.  He prescribed me a mild beta blocker (that made me feel sick and too wired to sleep - yuck!)   I only took it once before reading the warnings that say you can't take them while nursing - oops!  So basically, I'm just waiting to see if I have another spell.  If I do, I have to get in to the doctor ASAP.  Of course, we all know that it will never happen again and even if it does, it will be over before I get in. 

I fully expected the doctor to say one of two things:  At first I thought he'd say it's likely that my episode was caused by stress and fatigue.  I was trying to figure out how to put my kids up for adoption.  He didn't say anything though, so I guess I can still be a stressed-out, tired mom.  My mom thinks if I would just get rid of the goat kids, not the human ones, all would be well.  The other thing I thought my doctor might say is that I needed to lose at least twenty or thirty pounds.  My heart can't take care of so much woman!  But since he didn't say a word, I interpret it as meaning, "go eat another burger or two! Maybe some ice cream and doughnuts as well"  and I think I will...

No comments:

Post a Comment