Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mother's Day Report

I sure had a nice Mother's Day last week.  It actually started on about Thursday, when Nicole and Joshua began bringing in bouquets of "flowers" (aka weeds) from the back yard for me.  For three days, I was bombarded with bouquets and little heart-shaped notes, some of which were no bigger than confetti.  It was very sweet, even though it was quite messy.

For me, the Mother's Day celebration started on Saturday.  David watched the kids for me in the morning while I went to the temple for the first time since Bronson was born. It had been about 8 months.  What a great, emotional, beautiful way to start the day.  When I came home, Bronson was napping, so I was able to eat breakfast and get a few things done around the house.  I was able to exercise and even take a nap in the afternoon, thanks to David.  He sacrificed most of his Saturday to watch the kids and take them Mother's Day shopping.  They came home with a couple of pretty roses as an early present.  After the kids went to bed, Dave gave me an early present too - a giant double-scoop-waffle-bowl of ice cream!

On Sunday, Dave got up with the early risers and let me sleep in.  When I finally strolled out of bed, the kids all jumped on me with hugs and kisses and "Happy Mother's Day!" wishes.  For me, Mother's Day is fun because the kids want it to be.  They get so dang excited to take care of me and show me that they love me!  It's hard not to feel good when they try so hard.  They gave me some wonderful gifts.  Both girls had something special from school, plus some of my favorite candy, a book I had been wanting and a new set of scriptures!  All I can say is David Gee is one heck of a bargain shopper because I know for a fact that we only budgeted $20 for Mother's Day presents.

Church was nice - as nice as it can be when you spend most of it in the halls with loud children.  After church, we ate BLTs, soup, and fresh watermelon.  Perfect!  Then, we ate an angel food cake frosted with fresh fruit and whipped cream.  It was as delicious as it was beautiful.  We visited Grandma Shirley that evening and had a nice time (and more treats).

Throughout the day, I was reminded of how grateful I am for all the women in my life - mothers or not - who have made my life more full, fun, and faithful.  

1 comment:

  1. Good for David for showing you all that appreciation for the super job that you do!

    ReplyDelete