I wrote in the past about Alison winning an essay contest and how she wants to be an author when she grows up. I think she's talented enough to do it if she actually wants!
She won another essay contest a few months back. This one was about the stock market. She was competing against all the 6th graders from several different schools. She was really bummed because she only got third place (the ONLY person in her school who won anything, and she received a $75 prize).
Ali is constantly changing the lyrics to songs. It drives me CRAZY!!! I grew up with a mom and a little brother who changed the lyrics of every song they knew to sing about our dog or our cat. I thought when I moved out that I could just listen to normal lyrics again, but Ali is worse than Mom and Scott ever were! I have to admit, some of the songs are cute. She and her friends actually wrote the song that her whole grade is going to be singing at graduation in a couple of weeks. I've also discovered that my dear husband is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to inserting wrong lyrics into songs. He knows an alternate version to nearly every song ever written. Between the two of them, I rarely hear the real words to songs anymore.
Here are the lyrics to a song Alison wrote which I actually like. It was inspired by a similar version that my parents sang about my baby brother when I was little:
TO THE TUNE OF "THE BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC"
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the chubbiness of Quin.
He's the cutest little baby and it's borderline a sin.
He is sweet and round and cuddly and the opposite of thin.
His thighs go thunderin' on.
I also love this poem, which she wrote for an assignment at school. I don't even know what the assignment was - I assume writing a poem about a color??? I wouldn't have known about it at all if she hadn't left in on the counter one morning, printed in green ink and pasted on a paper cut out in the shape of a tree:
GREEN
Green is rolling hills, topped by trees,
Bitter candy, not so sweet.
Morning air, crisp and thin,
Green's a summer picnic shared by kin.
Green is when you feel so sick,
Green is lots of foliage thick.
Green was made a holiday,
Green's when you don't get your way.
I think of mint and trees and leaves,
I think of a chill carried on a breeze.
And now when I hear the word "Green",
I'll always think of poetry.
Pretty cute, huh?
What a creative, talented, beautiful girl!
ReplyDelete