Monday, September 22, 2014

Power Bowl!!!

Historically speaking, I'm not the best breakfast mother on the planet.  I have enough on my plate in the mornings without adding egg scrambling (and the related extra dishes) to my list.  There have been times when I made David and myself a nice, healthy breakfast, and an egg or two for the boys (who both LOVE eggs - which reminds me of something totally gross...they call the soft, runny yolk that they literally lick off the plate "egg juice."  Ewwww!!!!), but those days ended when Quinton was born.  Something had to give, and hot breakfast was the first thing on the chopping block.

In the early morning hours, I'm not awake and alert enough to battle with my girls over oatmeal or eggs.  So, basically, my kids eat cold cereal for breakfast.  I make them choose at least semi-healthy cereals (Cheerios, Frosted Mini-Wheats, Special K, etc.), reserving sweet cereals for weekends.  Occasionally, they eat "oatmeal" packets.  I know, I know - there's more sugar in those things than oats, but it's better than nothing, I figure.

However, things are changing around here.  Not all at once, but little by little.  For one day per week, I make POWER BOWLS!!!! for breakfast.  Every one in the family (with the exception of Nicki) LOVES POWER BOWLS!!!!

Power Bowls consist of all the healthy stuff you can cram into one meal.  They're so healthy, you can feel yourself getting stronger, healthier, and smarter with every bite!  We start with steel cut oats - natures scrub brushes for veins!  Cholesterol doesn't stand a chance with all that fiber!  Fiber also keeps kids full longer so that they can concentrate on their studies.  We add freshly ground flax seeds and a couple of tablespoons of Chia seeds - both of which are a mega-source of fiber, Omega-3's, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and lots of other "iums."  They're like eating a whole day's worth of healthy food in one little spoonful!  Then, I add cinnamon, which we all know has anti-inflammatory, anti-aging properties.  We top the oats with berries (sometimes pomegranate seeds, too) for an extra kick of antioxidants and vitamins.  Add a little skim or almond milk and you're all set!  Ain't no mountain high enough and ain't no valley low enough to keep you from taking on your day!


Seriously, I gave my kids this speech one morning and made them all eat a bowl.  They went for it!  Most of them ASK for it every few days.  I think the boys just want to be super heroes, but they also feel the difference.

On another day each week, I feed them all eggs (usually hard boiled, but I'm thinking about scrambling them this week) and toast.  So, for two days per week, I am trying to feed my kids a healthy, homemade breakfast.  The other three days are still cold cereal, though.  Baby steps, right?  I mean, really!  I'm just trying to survive here!

No comments:

Post a Comment