| 4th grade! |
| 2nd Grade! |
| All ready for our walk! |
Anyway, back to the first day of school. Since we were so new, I took the girls into their pods and found their classrooms with them. We went to Nicki's pod first. Her teacher, Mrs. Evans, is a young, cute woman with tons of "you little sweetheart!" kind of personality. I could tell right away that Nicole would love her. I introduced them to each other and was surprised when I got a little choked up. I wasn't feeling emotional, but looking at my cute little 7 year old practically frozen with fear, I almost lost it (but I pulled it together really quickly and I don't think anyone noticed). We left as the teacher took her into the classroom to find her desk.
Alison was next. By the time we got to her pod, she was almost hyperventilating. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not. Ali's teacher, Mrs. Crittenden has been teaching at Creekside for decades. She's older (like a grandma age) but very spunky and matter-of-fact. She reminds me very much of Ali's 3rd grade teacher, whom Alison adored. I took Ali into the classroom to find her stuff, but she just kept begging me to let her come home with me. I gently told her no and assured her I'd be back soon (it was a short day) and started to leave. She chased me out into the hall and started crying. Yikes. Luckily for me, Mrs. Crittenden followed us out and had a great talk with Ali. She said, "Are you nervous because you don't know anyone? Guess what. I don't know any of those kids either. They all had different teachers last year. Let's go inside and meet them together. Here's your first assignment..." etc. She walked Ali back to the classroom and I snuck away. I felt bad for her - that's not how she wanted to start her school year. I hoped she'd be able to get over it quickly.
| Our girls and their neighborhood friends waiting for school to start. |
Right when we got home, Kristin and my mom came over for a day of canning tomatoes. It was really fun and very productive, leaving me virtually no time to sit and worry about how the girls were doing. In fact, I barely had time to toss up a sloppy, hand-made "Happy First Day Of School" banner (which both Kris and my mom mocked me over - "Don't over do it, Kelley!") and throw a few balloons around the house before school was out.
I went to the school to pick the girls up that afternoon. Most of the kids in the neighborhood walk home, but I like to pick my girls up (for a number of reasons: Its a bit of a maze to get home, they've already been gone long enough, I want to make sure they aren't lost right away - not a half hour later, and I get to hear lots of school stories in the car on the way home). My mom always picked me up clear through high school and it mattered to me, so it still matters to me now. Anyway, I was a little nervous to hear how the day went. But all my fears flew out the window when the girls hopped in. The first words out of each of their mouths was, "Love it!" and they really do! Again, Whew!
Wow!! That really does sound like an incredible school! I'm glad that the girls are adjusting so well and have great teachers and friends!
ReplyDeleteWait: Mom picked you up everyday? Ummmm, not true. I remember walking home from elementary school EVERYDAY!! Maybe she just picked you up??
ReplyDeleteWhat are you talking about?!?!? Elementary doesn't count...we lived a block away!!
ReplyDelete