Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Moving Saga Episode Seven: Moving Day

I was doing a little better by the next morning.  The main reason for this was because I thought David and I came to an understanding that I was going to need to re-carpet/laminate the whole top floor of the house ASAP.  Incidentally, I was wrong about that.  Dave did not come to the same conclusion from our discussion, I guess.  We're going to have to re-carpet on a little bit slower schedule than I had hoped. 
Our home on the day we moved in.
 
ANYWAY...the morning of the move came.  David went to work and I packed up a bunch of our stuff from my parents house.  In the late morning, my mom, the kids and I went to Smith's grocery store right around the corner from our house.  We bought a bunch of staples like milk, eggs, licorice  - you know the basics!  Then we brought it all to our new house.  I stayed behind and waited for the movers to show up.  My mom took the kids in our van back to her house so that I could be focused.

The movers showed up on time and worked their tails off.  They didn't let me lift a thing, just point out where to put stuff.  For convenience purposes (both to save on time - I was paying by the hour - and effort) I had them place ALL the boxes in the great room/dining room.  It was a LOT of boxes!!  Floor-to-ceiling from one wall to the other.  Luckily for us, we didn't have any furniture for that room anyway.  Between the great box dump and the fact that the movers were young, strong, fast men (seriously, they were practically running up and down the ramp with heavy peices of furniture in their arms!) they were done in less than three hours.  I used the rest of the afternoon getting everyone's beds set up and made so that we would have a place to sleep that night.  It was fun and exciting. 
Before the movers arrived.

After the movers left.


Meanwhile, my mom and kids were having quite an adventure, unbeknownst to me.  After they left my house, they got about 2/3 of the way back home when my van completely died on them in the middle of the road!!  Gas = empty!!!  In my defense, it's a new van to me and I swear I NEVER saw a gas light turn on!!!  Anyway, Grandma was stuck about a mile from home with four young children and a few bags of groceries (she got a few things at Smith's too - including popsicles).  She would have called me or my dad or someone, but earlier in the morning Bronson had taken her cell phone out of her purse so my dad hid it from him on the kitchen counter.  She was stranded!  So she did the only thing she could do.  She gave each of the kids a couple of bags of groceries, she picked up the VERY heavy baby, and she started walking home.  They took a short cut through the golf course, and eventually made it back without any injuries.  AMAZING!!!  Kristin's kids came over in the afternoon and they had a super fun day in the end.  I felt SO bad when I found out about the whole thing!  The kids actually thought it was a pretty exciting adventure.  I'm sure it's a memory they (and my poor mother) will not soon forget.

I'm not sure if I'll write too much more about moving in - maybe I will some other day.  Let me just say that I unpacked several boxes per day, but didn't feel a tremendous amount of stress about getting it done too quickly.  The main focus for me has been to help my kids have a good summer.  We've played a LOT (that definately will have to be written about on another post.)  We've bought some beautiful new furniture, and each day this house feels more like a home to me.  The BEST part for me has been living so close to stores.  I LOVE going to the grocery store in 3 minutes instead of 15!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment